Wednesday, 1 February 2012

The Food Patrol 90 day challenge: what I have been eating

Image from here
Week two on the Food Patrol program and I am feeling great. Motivated. Not a bit hungry. I lost a kilo this week*. Six kilos in just two weeks. You have got to be happy with that.

A few people contacted me after my spectacular beginning last week and wanted to know what I am eating. Karen wanted to know if you can do this if you are a vegetarian.

You sure can.

The program is a high protein, low GI carbohydrate (carb) nutritional plan. It isn't all protein (nothing like the Atkins diet). They really encourage you to eat LOTS of vegetables, three times a day. And you have some low GI, high energy carbs like basmati rice at each meal too. The other three meals/snacks are protein shakes (with added oats) or a protein bar. There is no measuring involved. You just let your appetite do the talking.

The focus of the program is balancing protein and carbs. You can eat any lean proteins. Lean beef, chicken or pork or fish or egg whites or legumes or tofu or TVP. It is about healthy protein choices, so no processed stuff just clean, whole foods. It isn't all about meat.

I realised this week that my previous diet was so carb loaded that I didn't really stop to eat much protein at all. The fact that I was vegetarian for about 15 years and can't digest red meats has contributed to this I suppose. The addition of protein at each meal has been the biggest change for me in the make-up of my meals. Maybe my high-carb, low protein diet has been the reason for my struggle with my weight?

I am loving the Food Patrol program. I feel strong. I feel in control of what goes into my mouth. 

So tell me, do you eat protein at every meal? How do you like to prepare it?

The Food Patrol is a sponsor of And then there were four. Tune in next week for an awesome giveaway opportunity from the Food Patrol for one lucky reader of And then there were four.

*For those interested in the fine print, I now weigh 80.6kg.

11 comments:

Photographer Mum said...

I was wondering what you were eating too! Thanks for letting us know! Looking forward to next week's giveaway! I was looking at my reflection the other day in a shop window and am not happy with what I saw.
I need to do something about this asap!

Something Gorgeous said...

Your diet sounds amazing I must look into it more closely as I'm always looking for ways to lose a few kilos. x

Mum on the Run said...

Great work.
I am conscious of trying to incorporate a protein in each meal - but am also guilty of carbing it up way too often!
:-)

Diminishing Lucy said...

Woot! It sounds very sane and exactly the way I eat when I am losing weight! Xx

Mama of 2 boys said...

That's just awesome MM, I can hear the positivity in your words. You are focused and know your stuff, such a great thing to take on. I really need to start sorting out what I eat, for real. I am far too lazy when it comes to researching and preparing healthy meals that incorporate all the necessities.

Cathy said...

Sounds like you're really motivated and determined...not starving and struggling (as with many diets). It's almost 1am so I'll have to come back and read more about what you're doing. Well done!

rambling mum said...

you are so inspiring with these posts - I have been semi carb conscious recently but really need to apply some concentration & eat properly to kick this extra weight off!
Look forward to reading your next update!

EmmaK said...

Congratulations on the weight loss! Yeah for the past few months I have been trying to eat more protein too. I make scrambled egg tortillas for breakfast. Mostly I make chicken dishes for dinner like chicken curry. Just by halving my carbs i have lost 15 lbs. It is not easy though you have to plan a lot and not just stuff the nearest bagel in your gob!

Nat - Muddy Farmwife said...

Thanks for sharing! Sounds like you've got it all under control!
I have been guilt of overloading carbs too, but am trying to find more balance across my entire day.
Good Luck as you continue.

Seana Smith said...

Hi there, would love to know a menu for a day or two. When I won the raffle for Vision PT last year, one of the biggest changes they helped me make was to eat much more protein, and only good low GI carbs... does keep you much, much fuller.

Much to discuss!! Great to hear you are doing well and feeling great.

Kymmie said...

So, I'm vegetarian too.

And it's harder to follow a diet with lots of protein. Definitely harder. All the gym eating plans I've ever been given are meaty meat meat. And on the bottom in small print, they add "replace meat with 1/2 cup lentils, beans or tofu". Seriously? Not that I don't eat that stuff, it needs to be nice. It needs to taste nice. That's the most boring thing ever!

So, glad to hear you're mixing it up with carbs. Because I could give up chocolate, sugar and all things bad. But bread? NEVER!

xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...