Sunday, 13 January 2013

A month of health: Move

So far in my month of health, I have been focusing on cutting down  lollies sugar, making lasting changes to my diet, and clearing my headspace. Already I starting to feel more in control of what goes in my mouth. I may have even found some self-discipline! I am coming to terms with needing a long term approach to  health, not a quick fix.

For me feeling healthy is a natural outcome of regular exercise.  Exercise is usually the thing that keeps me sane. I miss it when I don't do it. All the sweating seems to knock some sense into me and helps me forego treats and over-indulgences. I rate the natural high.

I haven't done much exercise since I had my stomach operation. While I get around pretty well nowadays, I still don't feel 100%. I get random twinges, can't carry much and fatigue easily (not to mention that my toenails that are STILL falling off after my 100km walk).

But this week I am beginning my assault on my thighs. I am reintroducing movement into my schedule. Here is my plan:

  • I will be walking 30+ minutes most days. 
  • I am going to increase my incidental exercise every day.
  • I will make an appointment to visit my physiotherapist to find out what I can do to strengthen this stomach region of mine. I suspect she will encourage a re-acquaintance with my exercise ball and possibly some pilates.
  • I am putting together an exercise folder to house all of the snippets and inspirational images that I have collected over the years. You know? Home-based resistance training plans. Interval training programs. Daily yoga routines. I am going to remind myself all the benefits of doing push-ups.
How do you incorporate movement into your schedule? Have you ever made your own exercise plan? What do you do?

Next post in series: Real food




7 comments:

allison tait said...

I'm trying to be more active with the kids. Yesterday we went swimming, today we went bushwalking. It has a twofold effect - I get exercise, they get tired!

Elisa {With Grace and Eve} said...

I try go for a long walk twice a week with my girls in the pram, and yoga class once a week, and some Pilates exercises at home. I don't really enjoy Pilates, but wow it sure works for strengthening your core. I like your plan! You sound very motivated x

River said...

I planned on walking more on days that were cooler, but just last week arthritis announced its presence in my right hip in a rather forceful way that had me yelping and grabbing for support every time I got up from a sitting position. So once that settles to manageable, the walking will be more of a stroll or an amble.
Who knew that getting older wasn't going to be as much fun as I first thought?

seana smith said...

Hi there from Jervis Bay where it's easy to get incidentsal exercise when with two other mums and five kids. I did go for a 3km walk/jog to start the day too, but the splashing is what I love best.

When back in Sydney, I have some good habits.

Haven't been reading blogs much for the past 6 weeks so am off now to catch up on your healthy living ones. It must be tough when you've had such a big operation, will take a lot to recover that core strength.

seana smith said...

Hi there from Jervis Bay where it's easy to get incidentsal exercise when with two other mums and five kids. I did go for a 3km walk/jog to start the day too, but the splashing is what I love best.

When back in Sydney, I have some good habits.

Haven't been reading blogs much for the past 6 weeks so am off now to catch up on your healthy living ones. It must be tough when you've had such a big operation, will take a lot to recover that core strength.

Kymmie said...

Great article. You're so inspiring - with real food and being more active. Go Coo!

I'm not sure what happened when I turned 40, but I decided right then and there that I wanted to be active with my kids for a long time, which meant I had to lose the last of my baby weight. I'm running (yes, you can laugh now), I can hardly believe it myself. But a book I have purchased has changed the way I feel about exercise "Losing the Last Five Kilos" Michelle Bridges. She's amazing. And if the photographs of her arms don't inspire you, her "get to it" attitude will. I don't see exercise as a drain anymore. It's just something I do to feel amazing now! Hope you can see it as a lifestyle change rather than a short term solution. xx

Lisa H said...

At the end of last year I started a Beginner - 5km workout plan on Runkeeper. I don't expect to be able to win any races, but my goal is to be able to jog 5km without stopping! And then to keep it up!

The workout sessions are every second day, and I try to get in at least a 30 min walk on the other days. I've always been a good walker, and I'm amazed at how quickly my fitness has increased over the past month!

All the best in your continued recovery from your op. x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...