Friday, 8 November 2013

Twins in school Part 2


A long time ago now, I wrote this post about twins and school. It seemed only vaguely possible that my twins would ever reach school age at that time. The days were looooong. The parenting relentless. I had my views about how it should be done (of course I did) and I was determined to be ready to roll when the time came around. Plenty of time.

Blink and you'll miss it, people used to say to me, when my first son was born. The first five years will go by in a flash. I listened with my inner voice saying "That would be the day!". Every day stretched on in those early years. Each one a mirror of the last. I felt caught in a time warp.

The twins are attending their Early Birds program at the school. Preparing for Kindergarten in 2014. My twins are going to school! All of a sudden it seems like only yesterday that we were a family with four under four. All of a sudden the images of their cloth nappy clad bottoms disappearing together up the hallway seem so vivid. All of a sudden the races they had with their baby zimmer-frames feels like a recent past time.

I haven't taken the time to notice that we packed "the big rig" in the car for the last time nearly 2 years ago. That I breast fed for the last time nearly 3 years ago. That we no longer have cots, high-chairs, prams, bibs, or pureed food in our house. I haven't taken the time to notice every little thing. I haven't cherished every moment of those innocent, loving pre-school years. And now I've blinked and missed it. Boo.

Next year I will have four school-aged children. A whole new chapter. Note to self: remain wide-eyed.

Have you got a school starter in 2014? What preparations are you doing?





8 comments:

Mrs Catch said...

I hear you. But rest assured, there's a lot of fun yet to come...

Penny's Portraits said...

Yes, yes I do, but truth be told, I am kind of looking forward to it. Mr 5 is sooooo bored at home and has been acting accordingly...

Kinderlinks has been fabulous. He is so excited to be starting big school with his sister.

I do have to agree with you however, that the time has slipped through my fingers very quickly.

Allison Tait said...

I can't believe they're going to school. It's simply not possible.

Coal Valley View said...

This is why I have missed your blog..... My twins start full-time school next year too and there was a time where I rthought that day wouldn't come. The difference down in Tassie is that the year prior to full-time school they go to school part-time (like your pre-school) but since it's at Big School next year it's not such a big deal for them. For me on the other hand, I will have 5 days a week with just 1 baby at home and I'm really looking forward to it!!! Mel x

MultipleMum said...

Thanks for the reassurance Mrs Catch. You are the voice of reason.

MultipleMum said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MultipleMum said...

You won't know yourself Mel!

MultipleMum said...

You and me both Al! You and me both.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...