Wednesday, 4 December 2013

My little prince

I was relayed a little story at the weekend that made me smile. I hope it does you too.

We were away for our annual Thanksgiving weekend with friends. I know you may think this a touch odd, being Australian and all, but it is a tradition with our group of friends. One that our American friend started.

This weekend we were down at Berry, in a beautiful house, having a delightful time in the perfect weather, gorging on a mountain of rich and tasty food. There were 14 children, fewer adults and the echo of laughter, happiness and good times everywhere. As far as weekends of this magnitude go, pretty bloody perfect.

So, I was talking to the cousin of our hosts, a young woman of 18 who looked a little startled most if the weekend. She managed the chaos pretty well for a first timer.

She said to me that she had witnessed a little romance in the air. Let me backtrack a bit to say that the 14 children are all aged under nine and the adults have all been married a decade, give or take. Suitably intrigued and imagining scandal of gigantic proportions, I said "oh yes."

Fortunately she continued. " I was brushing (let's call her Pretty Girl)'s hair this morning and she said to me: Cousin, do you know Dew Drop?. I responded by saying 'I think so'. I could only vaguely remember which of your sons is which to be honest. So, Pretty Girl went on. "He's so handsome. He looks like a prince. I am a little princess. We go together. I think we should get married"

And that is how true romance is born. Nothing too scandalous, much to my bitter disappointment. Just a little girl arranging her own marriage at the age of five!

I repeated the story to her Mum later that night. We giggled and giggled.

Are your children busily arranging their own marriages too?

6 comments:

Something Gorgeous said...

I think there's a lot to be said for arranging your kids marriages! LOL

MultipleMum said...

Arranged marriages have better longevity than when you pick your own partner, statistically. Not sure about five year olds hooking up though!

katherine said...

My little madam has told told me she is marrying one of her friends from daycare, and there is a bit of competition to win him over...her parting words were, you have to keep it a secret mummy and can I please wear your married dress...

MultipleMum said...

Love this! Too cute :-) seems to be the thing little girls do huh?

Mrs Catch said...

This gave me a smile. So cute.

Miss Pink said...

This is simply gorgeous

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...